- BTech (1984) Chemical Engineering, IIT Delhi
- PhD (1994) Aerospace Engineering, IISc Bengaluru
- Postdoctoral Fellow (1994) Caltech (California Institute of Technology).
- 1998-1998: Scientist, National Aerospace Laboratories, Bengaluru.
- 1998-2012: Faculty member, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru.
- 2012-2016: Faculty Member, TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad.
Our group has a long term interest in flow instabilities. We ask how gradients of density and viscosity, and thermodynamic effects brought about by phase change affect in a deep way the tendency of a laminar flow to go unstable.
We work on cloud fluid dynamics, and are trying to understand how vortex dynamics affects entrainment and droplet growth. We also work on mixing in the Bay of Bengal, and are beginning to model the Indian monsoon.
In collaboration with Narayanan Menon, we study the combined dynamics of deformable solids and fluids, such as plastic rods unbending on a liquid surface, and balls falling through viscous liquid onto a solid plate.
- Relaxation of a highly deformed elastic filament at a fluid interface. S Ganga Prasath, Joel Marthelot, Rama Govindarajan, &Narayanan Menon, Physical Review Fluids, 2016.
- Caustics and clustering in the vicinity of a vortex. S. Ravichandran and Rama Govindarajan. Physics of Fluids, 27, 033305, 2015. Dynamics of an initially spherical gas bubble rising in quiescent liquid. Manoj Tripathi, Kirti Sahu & Rama Govindarajan. Nature Communications, 6, 6268, 2015.
- "Analytical solutions for algebraic growth of disturbances in a stably stratified shear flow" Sharath Jose, Anubhab Roy, Rahul Bale & Rama Govindarajan, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2015.0267.
- Instabilities in viscosity-stratified flows. Rama Govindarajan & Kirti Chandra Sahu, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 46: 331-353.