- BTech (1984) Chemical Engineering, IIT Delhi
- PhD (1994) Aerospace Engineering, IISc Bengaluru
- Postdoctoral Fellow (1994) Caltech (California Institute of Technology).
- 1998-1998: Scientist, National Aerospace Laboratories, Bengaluru.
- 1998-2012: Faculty member, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru.
- 2012-2016: Faculty Member, TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad.
Our group has a long term interest in flow instabilities. We ask how gradients of density and viscosity, and thermodynamic effects brought about by phase change affect in a deep way the tendency of a laminar flow to go unstable.
We work on cloud fluid dynamics, and are trying to understand how vortex dynamics affects entrainment and droplet growth. We also work on mixing in the Bay of Bengal, and are beginning to model the Indian monsoon.
In collaboration with Narayanan Menon, we study the combined dynamics of deformable solids and fluids, such as plastic rods unbending on a liquid surface, and balls falling through viscous liquid onto a solid plate.
- Accurate solution of the Maxey-Riley equation, and effects of Basset history, S Ganga Prasath, Vishal Vasan and Rama Govindarajan, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2019, to appear.
- Spatio-temporal patterns of daily Indian summer monsoon rainfall. Adway Mitra, Amit Apte, Rama Govindarajan, Sreekar Vadlamani, Vishal Vasan, Dynamics and Statistics of the Climate System, 3, 1, 2019.
- Solid-on-solid contact in a sphere-wall collision in a viscous fluid. Sumit Kumar Birwa, G. Rajalakshmi, Rama Govindarajan, and Narayanan Menon, Physical Review Fluids, 3, 044302, 2018.
- Vortex-dipole collapse induced by droplet inertia and phase change. S. Ravichandran & Rama Govindarajan. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 832, 745-776, 2017.
- Instabilities in viscosity-stratified flow. Rama Govindarajan and Kirti Sahu, Annual Review of Fluids Mechanics, 2014.