- B.Sc. (Mathematics), University of Bombay (1974)
- M.Sc. (Mathematics), University of Bombay (1976)
- Diplome de Docteur de 3eme Cycle, Univ. Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI),( November, 1983)
- Docteur de l'universite, Univ. Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris VI), ( January, 1990).
- Postdoctoral Fellow : California Institute of Technology, (1986-87)
- T.I.F.R. Centre for Applicable Mathematics, Bangalore (Till retirement in June 2019)
- Dean, TIFR CAM ( 2011- 2014 )
- Adjunct Professor, Chennai Mathematical Institute (since 2019)
- NASI Senior Scientist, ICTS-TIFR, ( since 2020 for 3 years)
My research interests lie in Analysis of differential equations and applications to control problems.
Prior to 2005, I had worked on elliptic problems, symmetry of positive solutions and viscosity solution approach to Hamilton-Jacobi equations and related topics.
After that with my students and collaborators, I have been studying various control aspects of one dimensional compressible Navier-Stokes system for density and velocity of a fluid in a bounded interval. This being a coupled system of transport and parabolic type, poses serious problems in tackling regularity and control issues, which are very different for each type. Now we are focusing on similar systems to analyse the control issues, mainly controllability and stabilization.
A class of fluid-structure interaction problems, like blood flow model, is also the current interest of our group. I have been studying weak solutions of the coupled system modeling the movement of a rigid body inside a fluid, compressible and incompressible, with our collaborators. We have also initiated the control of such systems.
- Sofiya Kowalewsky Visiting Professor, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany, January to June, 2011.
- Fulbright-Nehru Academic Professional Excellence Fellow: One Semester visit to Virginia Tech, USA, in 2016 and 2017, Awarded by US-India Education Foundation.
- Visiting Professor, CUNY, U.S.A, September to November, 2015.
- CNRS Poste Rouge visiting position for one semester in Toulouse University, France, in 2015 and 2018.