- Assistant Professor of Physics (Tenure-Track), City University of New York, USA, 2014-2016
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Princeton University, NJ, USA, 2012-2014
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Toronto, CANADA, 2011-2012
- Ph.D in Physics: State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA (co-advisor at Brookhaven National Laboratory, USA) , 2011
- Masters in Physics: State University of New York at Stony Brook, USA, 2007
- Bachelors Honors in Physics: St. Stephens College, University of Delhi, India, 2005
Classical Mechanics (Fall 2018)
Classical Mechanics (Fall 2019)
Introduction to Open Quantum Systems, Statistical Physics School (Summer 2021), to be held
My research interests include:
Condensed Matter Theory, Cold Atomic Gases, Non-equilibrium Physics with light and matter, Mesoscopic Quantum Optics, Hybrid circuit-QED systems, Integrable Models, Mathematical Physics, Nonlinear Hydrodynamics
1. Amit Kumar Chatterjee, Postdoctoral Fellow
2. Abhishodh Prakash, ICTS-Simons Postdoctoral Fellow [moving to University of Oxford, U.K. in Fall 2021]
3. Urbashi Satpathi, Postdoctoral Fellow
4. Hari Kumar Yadalam, CEFIPRA Postdoctoral Fellow [ICTS, Bangalore and École Normale Supérieure, Paris]
5. Jitendra Kethepalli, Graduate Student [jointly with Anupam Kundu]
6. Saikat Santra, Graduate Student [jointly with Anupam Kundu]
Ex members [next affiliation]:
1. Manoj Kumar, Postdoctoral Fellow [Newton International Fellow, Coventry University, U.K.]
2. Jincheng Lu, Project Student [Graduate student, Soochow University, China]
3. Swetlana Swarup, Project Student [Graduate student, University of Minnesota, USA]
4. Sanaa Agarwal, Masters Student [Graduate student, University of Colorado, USA]
5. Sayantan Roy, Masters Student [Graduate student, Ohio State University, USA]
6. Aritra Kumar Gon, Project Student [Graduate Student, TIFR Mumbai, India]
7. Abhinav Sundar, IASc. Summer Fellow [Texas Instruments]
8. Anant Rastogi, Project Student [Graduate student, University of Minnesota, USA]
9. Archak Purkayashta, Graduate Student Co-advisor [Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Individual Fellow, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland]
10. Aman Agarwal, Masters Student [Graduate Student, Perimeter Institute and the University of Guelph, Canada]
11. Amit Dey, Postdoctoral Fellow [Assistant Professor, Ramananda College, Bankura University, India]
12. Avanish Kumar, Long Term Visitor [Postdoctoral Fellow, Weizmann Institute, Israel]
13. Devashish Tupkary, Project Student [Graduate Student, Institute for Quantum Computing, University of Waterloo, Canada]
14. Raghavendra Nimiwal, Masters Student [Graduate Student, moving to Columbia University, USA in Fall 2021]
57. A. K. Chatterjee, M. Kulkarni, A. Kundu, arXiv:2106.01267 (2021), "Dynamical regimes of finite temperature discrete nonlinear Schrödinger chain"
56. D. Tupkary, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, A. Purkayastha, arXiv:2105.12091 (2021), "Fundamental pathologies in Lindblad descriptions of systems weakly coupled to baths"
55. R. Nimiwal, U. Satpathi, V. Vasan, M. Kulkarni, arXiv:2101.01651 (2021), "Soliton-like behaviour in non-integrable systems"
54. B. Kiran, D. A. Huse, M. Kulkarni, arXiv:2011.09320 (2020), "Spatio-temporal spread of perturbations in power-law models at low temperatures: Exact results for OTOC"
53. S. Roy, S. Mukerjee, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. B 103, 184203 (2021), "Imbalance for a family of one-dimensional incommensurate models with mobility edges"
52. M. Kulkarni, S. N. Majumdar, G. Schehr, Phys. Rev. A 103, 033321 (2021), "Multilayered density profile for noninteracting fermions in a rotating two-dimensional trap"
51. A. Prakash, J. H. Pixley, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. Research 3, L012019, Letters (2021), Editors' Suggestion, "The universal spectral form factor for many-body localization"
50. C. Aron, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. Research 2, 043390 (2020), "Non-Analytic Non-Equilibrium Field Theory: Stochastic Reheating of the Ising Model"
49. A. Dey, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. Research 2, 042004, Rapid Communications (2020), "Emergence of chaos and controlled photon transfer in a cavity-QED network"
48. A. Purkayastha, M. Kulkarni, Y. N. Joglekar, Phys. Rev. Research 2, 043075 (2020), "Emergent PT symmetry in a double-quantum-dot circuit QED set-up"
47. A. K. Chatterjee, A. Kundu, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. E 102, 052103 (2020), Editors' Suggestion, "Spatio-temporal spread of perturbations in a driven dissipative Duffing chain: an OTOC approach"
46. A. Dey, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. A 101, 043801 (2020), "Engineering indefinitely long-lived localization in cavity-QED arrays"
45. S. Swarup, V. Vasan, M. Kulkarni, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 53, 135206 (2020), "Provable bounds for the Korteweg-de Vries reduction in multi-component Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation"
44. J. P. Deka, A. K. Sarma, A. Govindarajan, M. Kulkarni, Nonlinear Dynamics, 100 (2), 1629--1640 (2020), "Multifaceted nonlinear dynamics in PT-symmetric coupled Liénard oscillators"
43. A. Kumar, M. Kulkarni, A. Kundu, Phys. Rev. E 102, 032128 (2020), "Particles confined in arbitrary potentials with a class of finite-ranged interactions"
42. M. Kumar, A. Kundu, M. Kulkarni, D. A. Huse, A. Dhar, Phys. Rev. E 102, 022130 (2020), "Transport, correlations, and chaos in a classical disordered anharmonic chain"
41. S. Agarwal, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, A. Kundu, S. N. Majumdar, D. Mukamel, G. Schehr, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 100603 (2019), Editors' Suggestion, "Harmonically confined particles with long-range repulsive interactions"
40. A. Das, M. Kulkarni, H. Spohn, A. Dhar, Phys. Rev. E 100, 042116 (2019), "Kardar-Parisi-Zhang scaling for an integrable lattice Landau-Lifshitz spin chain"
39. A. K. Gon, M. Kulkarni, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 52, 415201 (2019), "Duality in a hyperbolic interaction model integrable even in a strong confinement: Multi-soliton solutions and field theory"
38. S. Agarwal, M. Kulkarni, A. Dhar, J. Stat Phys, 176, 6, 1463 (2019), "Some connections between the Classical Calogero-Moser model and the Log Gas"
37. B. K. Agarwalla, M. Kulkarni, D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 100, 035412 (2019), "Photon statistics of a double quantum dot micromaser: Quantum treatment"
36. A. Das, K. Damle, A. Dhar, D. A. Huse, M. Kulkarni, C. B. Mendl, H. Spohn, J Stat Phys, 180(1), 238-262 (2019), "Nonlinear Fluctuating Hydrodynamics for the Classical XXZ Spin Chain"
35. J. Lu, R. Wang, J.Ren, M. Kulkarni, J-H. Jiang, Phys. Rev. B 99, 035129 (2019), "Quantum Dot circuit-QED thermoelectric diodes and transistors"
34. M. Kulkarni, G. Mandal, T. Morita, Phys. Rev. A 98, 043610 (2018), "Quantum quench and thermalization of one-dimensional Fermi gas via phase space hydrodynamics"
33. R. Härtle, C. Schinabeck, M. Kulkarni, D. Gelbwaser-Klimovsky, M. Thoss, U. Peskin, Phys. Rev. B 98, 081404 (2018), "Cooling by heating in nonequilibrium nanosystems"
32. A. Purkayastha, S. Sanyal, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. B 97, 174206 (2018), Editors' Suggestion, “Anomalous transport in the Aubry-André-Harper model in isolated and open systems”
31. M. Kulkarni, S. M. Hein, E. Kapit, C. Aron, Phys. Rev. B 97, 064506 (2018), "Permanent spin currents in cavity-qubit systems"
30. A. Purkayastha, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. B, 96, 180204, Rapid Communications, (2017), “Non-equilibrium phase diagram of a 1D quasiperiodic system with a single-particle mobility edge”
29. M. Kulkarni, A. P. Polychronakos, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 50 455202 (2017), "Emergence of Calogero family of models in external potentials: Duality, Solitons and Hydrodynamics"
28. A. Purkayastha, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. A 94, 052134, (2016), “Non-linear transport in an out-of-equilibrium single-site Bose Hubbard model: scaling, rectification and time dynamics”
27. B. K. Agarwalla, M. Kulkarni, S. Mukamel, D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 94, 121305(R) (2016) , “Giant photon gain in large-scale quantum dot circuit-QED systems"
26. B. K. Agarwalla, M. Kulkarni, S. Mukamel, D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 94, 035434 (2016) “Tunable photonic cavity coupled to a voltage-biased double quantum dot system: Diagrammatic NEGF approach”
25. F. Franchini, M. Kulkarni, A. Trombettoni, New J. Phys. 18, 115003, (2016), “Hydrodynamics of local excitations after an interaction quench in 1D cold atomic gases”
24. C. Aron, M.Kulkarni and H. E. Tureci , Phys. Rev. X 6, 011032 (2016), “Photon-mediated interactions: a scalable tool to create and sustain entangled many-body states”
23. A. Purkayastha, A. Dhar, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. A 93, 062114, (2016), “Exact Redfield description for open non-interacting quantum systems and failure of the Lindblad approach”
22. M. E. Schwartz, L. Martin, E. Flurin, C. Aron, M. Kulkarni, H. E. Tureci, I. Siddiqi, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 240503 (2016), “Stabilizing entanglement via symmetry-selective bath engineering in superconducting qubits”
21. JH. Jiang, M. Kulkarni, D. Segal, Y. Imry, Phys. Rev. B 92, 045309 (2015), “Phonon-thermoelectric transistors and rectifiers”
20. R. Hartle, M. Kulkarni, Phys. Rev. B 91, 245429 (2015), “Effect of broadening in the weak coupling limit of vibrationally coupled electron transport through molecular junctions and the analogy to quantum dot circuit QED systems”
19. M. Kulkarni, D. A. Huse, H. Spohn, Phys. Rev. A 92, 043612 (2015), “Fluctuating hydrodynamics for a discrete Gross-Pitaevskii equation: mapping to Kardar-Parisi-Zhang universality class”
18. F. Franchini, A. Gromov, M. Kulkarni, A. Trombettoni, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 48 (2015) 28FT01 (Fast Track Communication) “Universal dynamics of a soliton after an interaction quench”
17. C. Aron, M.Kulkarni and H. E. Tureci , Phys. Rev. A 90, 062305 (2014) “Steady-state entanglement of spatially separated qubits via quantum bath engineering”
16. M.Kulkarni, O. Cotlet and H. E. Tureci, Phys. Rev. B, 90, 125402 (2014) “Cavity-coupled double-quantum dot at finite bias: analogy with lasers and beyond”
15. M.Kulkarni, B. Oztop and H. E. Tureci, Phys. Rev. Lett, 111, 220408 (2013) “Cavity-mediated near-critical dissipative dynamics of a driven condensate”
14. M. Kulkarni, K. L. Tiwari and D. Segal, New Journal of Physics, 15, 013014 (2013)”Full density matrix dynamics for large quantum systems: interactions, decoherence and inelastic effects”
13. M. Kulkarni and A. Lamacraft, Phys. Rev. A 88, 021603, Rapid Communications (2013) “Finite-temperature dynamical structure factor of the one-dimensional Bose gas: From the Gross-Pitaevskii equation to the Kardar-Parisi-Zhang universality class of dynamical critical phenomena”
12. M. Kulkarni, K. L. Tiwari and D. Segal, Phys. Rev. B 86, 155424 (2012) “Towards equilibration and thermalization between finite quantum systems: Unitary emulation of dephasing effects and inelastic interactions”
11. M. Kulkarni and A. G. Abanov, Phys. Rev. A, 86, 033614 (2012) “Hydrodynamics of cold atomic gases in the limit of weak nonlinearity, dispersion, and dissipation”
10. M. Kulkarni and R. M. Konik, arXiv:1109.5731 (2011), “The Fermi liquid nature of the ground state of double quantum dots in parallel from a 1/N expansion”
9. A. G. Abanov, A. Gromov, M. Kulkarni, J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 44 ,295203 (2011) “Soliton solutions of Calogero model in harmonic potential”
8. S. Ganeshan, M. Kulkarni and A. C. Durst, Phys. Rev. B 84, 064503 (2011) “Quasiparticle scattering from vortices in d-wave superconductors. II. Berry phase contribution”
7. J. Joseph, J. E. Thomas, M. Kulkarni, A. G. Abanov, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 150401 (2011) “Observation of shock waves in a strongly interacting Fermi gas”
6. M. Kulkarni and A. G. Abanov, Nucl. Phys. B, 846, 122 (2011) “Cold Fermi gas with inverse square interaction in a harmonic trap”
5. M. Kulkarni and R. M. Konik, Phys. Rev. B 83, 245121 (2011) “The RKKY Interaction and the Nature of the Ground State of Double Quantum Dots in Parallel”
4. M. Kulkarni, S. Ganeshan and A. C. Durst, Phys. Rev. B 84, 064502 (2011) “Quasiparticle scattering from vortices in d-wave superconductors I: Superflow contribution”
3. F. Franchini and M. Kulkarni, Nucl. Phys. B, 825, 320 (2010) “Emptiness and Depletion Formation Probability in spin models with inverse square interaction”
2. M. Kulkarni. F. Franchini and A. G. Abanov, Phys. Rev. B 80, 165105 (2009) “Nonlinear dynamics of spin and charge in spin-Calogero model”
1. M. Kulkarni, N. Seshadri, V. S. C. Manga Rao, S. Dutta Gupta, Journal of Modern Optics, 10, Volume 51 No. 4, 549-557 “Control of superluminal transit through a heterogeneous medium”
- Rutgers Global International Collaborative Research Grant with Prof. Jedediah Pixley, Rutgers University, USA.
- SERB MATRICS Grant, Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
- Selected as Prajawani Young Achiever (leading Kannada daily) for 2020, in the field of science.
- SERB Early Career Research Award (ECRA), Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
- CEFIPRA Grant, Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research jointly with Prof. Camille Aron, École Normale Supérieure (ENS, Paris)
- Selected as an associate member of the Indian Academy of Sciences
- Ramanujan Fellowship, SERB, Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
- City University of New York (PSC-CUNY) Research Grant