EADS Corporate Foundation has entered into a partnership agreement with the TIFR Centre for Applicable Mathematics (TIFR-CAM) and the International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS-TIFR) to create an International Teaching and Research Chair entitled “Mathematics of Complex Systems,” with the aim of developing innovative research involving theoretical, applied, and computational work related to mathematics of complex systems. Five attractive Prize Postdoctoral Fellowships are available under this program for which applications are invited. Fellowships are available in the following areas:
- Dynamical systems, stochastic analysis, and data assimilation (PI: Amit Apte, email@example.com)
- Numerical relativity, gravitational-wave- physics and astrophysics (PI: P. Ajith, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Homogenization and control of PDEs, inverse problems (PIs: M. Vanninathan email@example.com, Mythily Ramaswamy firstname.lastname@example.org, Venky Krishnan email@example.com)
- Numerical methods for fluid flows and uncertainty quantification (PI: Praveen C. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Inertial particles in turbulent fluid flows (PI: Samriddhi Sankar Ray, ssray AT icts.res.in)
The research themes are described in more detail in the individual group pages. Fellows are expected to work closely with the research groups at ICTS and CAM in Bangalore. An eminent academic from within or outside India is expected to spend a few months every year at ICTS/CAM as Distinguished EADS Chair Visiting Professor. In addition, Fellows will have opportunity to interact with experts from all over the world through collaborative visits, workshops and conferences, funded by the program.
Applications are invited from candidates who have relevant experience in any of the above areas. Candidates must have a PhD degree in mathematics, physics or engineering. The ideal candidate must have an aptitude for applied mathematics and scientific computing. Prior research experience in the specific areas mentioned above is recommended, but not essential.
Salary and benefits
The initial appointment will be for two years, with a possibility of extension up to four years. Renewal for the third year will depend on a comprehensive review of the scientific activity of the Fellow. The salary will be comparable to that of an assistant professor in India (Rs. 50,000 per month during the first year, with 10% increase in subsequent years). In addition, a research grant of Rs. 150,000 per annum can be availed, apart from relocation allowances and medical benefits. Fellows can also opt for Institute accommodation or a house rent allowance that amounts to 30% of the fellowship.
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to apply online with their CV, list of publications, a research proposal of not more than two pages, and a covering letter (PDF). The nominal deadline is 31 July 2013; but applications will be considered until the positions are filled. The nominal starting date of 1 October 2013 is negotiable. Informal queries may be addressed to the individual PIs listed above.
- EADS Foundation
- Astrophysical relativity research at ICTS
- Turbulence research at ICTS
- Dynamical systems and data assimilation research at ICTS